A clarrification and an apology

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 7 17:20:07 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Rahul
> First, I understand what you are saying and what you are saying makes
> sense. But let me say again GNOME was disabled presumably by removing
> gnome-sessions by the Add/Remove program and no confirmation was asked
> for. I would never agree with such a action. By the way that part of the
> interface is somewhat confusing to me but I am sure I never confirmed a
> removal of GNOME. So there must be a bug somewhere in the program.

Perhaps you ran into the timeout after the prompt. The timeout for the
prompt on dependency list has been removed and a prompt would stay on
forever till you confirm it in the latest update.

> Now I must apologize to you for disagreeing when you indicated there was
> a bug in the yum-updatesd program I figure you mean that it does not do
> automatic updates. I have an aversion to automatic updates. My statement
> it works when you send the notification to dbus and you get a balloon
> that says that updates are available and you can choose which to
> update.
> Am I correct in this analysis?

Yes. Thats different from automatic updates. You can indeed configure in
  to do that but thats not the default and due to a bug that is not
working well for many users.

> I find FC6 a little over-engineered. The yum-updatesd is a little too
> clever for its own good. The old way with a simple crontab entry was
> more direct and did the job.

It doesnt work well for desktop notifications. A better understanding of
the goals would help understand why the change would be made. I dont
quite understand why you feel its overengineered or too clever. Sure the
implementation wasnt perfect but thats a different thing.

> Just let us say I am extremely frustrated by my current experiences like
> GNOME disappearing and I may be over reacting.

Appears so.

Rahul