Problems with nv driver

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Tue Nov 7 19:34:51 UTC 2006

I have an nVidia GeForce4 440 Go in my laptop and I use the nv driver on
Fedora Core 6, recently upgraded (fresh install) from FC5.

With this combination, googleearth is slow as molasses.  On FC5 it was
maybe a bit slow, but still perfectly usable, but on FC6 it's totally
unusable.  I basically get complete screen redraws one after the other
while googleearth is zooming (well, trying to zoom) around.

What happened between FC5 and FC6 to cause this?  Is there anything I
can do to improve things?

The version of googleearth is the same in both cases: Google Earth for
GNU/Linux 4.0.2091.

I have tried various binary drivers from nVidia, but they give even less
joy: the latest beta (9626) gives me a completely black screen, even
with the patch that nVidia provided.  Version 7184 can be made to run,
but then googleearth complains about GLX not being available (this is
because the X server says that GLX and the Composite extension are not
compatible).  I forget what was the problem with 8776, but there was a
problem there as well.

--
Sjoerd Mullender