Two old problems with FC6

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Nov 7 19:43:41 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:42, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I asked this before but now I have more information on two problems I am
> having.  I am running FC6 on a really old machine (2000) so that may be
> the major problem.
>
> 1. No sound card is found. I determined my sound card is a Creative Lab
> Sound Blaster Live 512V card. This card has always worked in earlier
> versions of Fedora. Is it possible it has dropped off the supported
> list? What can be done to make it work?

According to the Alsa soundcard matrix, and as Anne has said, your card uses
the emu10k1 driver, but you want to modprobe snd-emu10k1 which is the Alsa
driver.  I only have FC5 and earlier versions of FC, but I've put the
relevant stuff for FC5's /etc/modprobe.conf below.

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
|| : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

I don't know if this will work, as this is from FC5, and also there's a bit of
word wrapping using Kmails composer. It might be best to write the "remove"
line in manually. The first line ends with };  , and the second line starts
with /sbin.  I'm always confused about this word wrapping, perhaps it will
paste correctly.

> 2. When the machine is shutdown it produces all the correct shutdown
> messages but the power does not shut off. Does anyone feel positive
> about these possible actions to correct the problem.
> a. Update the BIOS
> b. See if acpid is turned off in the BIOS. I have not tried this yet but
> the shutdown has always worked in previous versions of FC6.start
> I received only silence when I asked this before. Has someone a
> suggestion that I have not thought of other then hit the shutdown button
> when necessary. Restart works.

I'm getting the same in FC5, and it seems to have happened after some updates.
The original 2.6.15 kernel still shuts down the machine completely, but later
kernels don't. I still have 2 instances of FC5 on the other machine that
still need a lot of updates, so I'll verify that the later kernels still shut
down the machine completely later this evening, and then it will be a case of
trying to find out which updates have stopped the complete shutdown with
kernels later than 2.6.15. I have many distros running on this machine, and
all shut down with no problems, so I don't think that it's a BIOS issue. A
few minutes later after having booted the machine that shuts down ok with the
2.6.15 kernel. I re-booted with a 2.6.17 kernel, opened mainmenu > Admin >
Server settings > services, and under acpid all I have is the description, no
status, but rebooting with the 2.6.15 kernel, status shows the acpi daemon to
be running. Re-booting again with the 2.6.17 kernel, and opening services, I
start acpid which says it's started, but nothing on the status panel, and on
shutdown the machine doesn't shutdown completely. I'll post the output of rpm
-q -a --last if someone wants to look at it. Personally I don't know where to
start, but do believe that this has happened on kernels later than 2.6.15
after some updates.

> I should reveal that after 50 years in the computer business (I started
> before transistors were invented) I see my beating my head against
> fedora problems as a prevention of Alzheimer's. Why would I want to
> install Ubantu that someone told me just works. How dull.

Aaron. I'm sure we'd love to hear about some of your experiences of the early
days. Gene Heskett has given us some of his experiences, now it's your turn.
I have nothing to offer. I was a teenager in the 60's. I used to hang around
with friends who were into wireless (radio), and building amplifiers, but
never got seriously involved myself. Give us some of your experiences. It'll
give us a break from trying to resolve these darned computer problems.

> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>

Nigel.