cannot play mp3 files

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 7 21:07:45 UTC 2006

> It might be adequate to go to http://zod.freshrpms.net and install
> the "xine-lib-extras" package.  Mplayer is a movie player and while it may
> or may not play mp3's I expect the codecs for it will not help you.
>
> I'm new at this too, I hope the above helps.

My advice, for what it is worth...

Go to livna and install the rpms to use their yum repo. This page says how to
install

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna

after this, livna is included in your yum repos.

livna contains all the stuff that could not be included in the standard FC
install for various license reasons (depending on your country etc.)

To find out what is available, I recommend not using the command line ("yum
search XXX" is not the most user friendly), but some GUI. I use yumex

 > yum install yumex

then fire up yumex.

and try searching for packages with, say "mp3" "ugly" "free" etc. in the
names.

cheers Chris