FC-6: four small whinges

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 21:40:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 02:06:24PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

 > 2. The estimates of remaining time seem worse than ever.
 > Just before putting in CD#2 it said the remaining time was 35 minutes.
 > After putting in the CD this rose to 120 minutes,
 > and a couple of minutes later this became 505 minutes!
 > (In fact it took about 40 minutes.)
 >
 > Actually, I get quite an accurate estimate if I measure
 > how far the "slide indicator" has gone across the screen,
 > so anaconda must actually have a much better idea of the remaining time
 > than it displays.

They're measuring different things. The estimate is a 'guess' on ETA.
The slide is an accurate measure of the percentage of packages installed
so far.   The trouble is extrapolating the ETA based on how long
it took to install the packages so far is IMO the wrong metric, as
all packages are not of equal size, and installing several large packages
seems to badly skew the estimate to a point where it never gets
back on track.

I think it'd be more informative to have a "installing package n of m"
counter than a time that's never accurate.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk