OT: Interesting news - what does this mean for RH?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 8 02:45:11 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Anne, If I were a suse user, I'd certainly be looking for alternatives.
>
> I have tried suse, and the thing that seems to be missing is the equivalent
> of livna, freshrpms, et. al. If there are lots of 3rd party repos out
> there with pre-built binaries for suse, they are not getting much
> publicity.
>
> Maybe you'll be able to get all that 3rd party stuff on suse via
> Windows Update soon :-).
>
> (Actually, it probably won't be named suse very long - they'll have
> to change it to something like Linux.NET).

I imagine that there will be some super-site that will distribute
suse.net and windows.net code for the "cross platform compatibility"
phase that will probably take place.

Since Novell originated the active directory idea and somehow Micro$oft
walked away with it and put Novell in a bad spot, it surprises me that
Novell is walking into this hornet nest once more.
At least they are guaranteed that their patent for stupidity will not
violate any patent from the Micro$oft camp which they could pursue
against Novell otherwise.

Jim

--
Without life, Biology itself would be impossible.