disable modules in xorg.conf?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 8 03:00:15 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:28:36 -0500
> Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> "X -configure' to see if it generates a working X file that is
>> substantial enough to prevent the guessing game.
>
> Yea, I suppose it might be possible that if there is a Modules
> section, the server won't provide modules on its own. I'll try
> that next time I have FC6 booted again.
>
> Of course, I already discovered that no power in the universe
> will prevent X from coming up with its own modeline data.
> My reading of the source for the radeon driver indicated you
> could override the modeline by using the "PanelSize" option,
> but apparently that doesn't work. Instead of using my modeline
> with a slightly reduced refresh rate (which works on FC5), it
> ignores mine and comes up with its own modeline, apparently
> designed for a CRT with a clock rate totally out of range.

It sounds like an outrageous concept to adopt. Are they expecting the
code to be self healing? I would figure that there was built-in defaults
but still leaving the ability there to specify your own modes.

> I may yet be forced to rebuild all of X just to get it to try
> something that probably won't work anyway :-).

I would hope that just rebuilding the driver would suffice. If you end
up with a better version of X, let me know. :-)

Jim

--
The sooner you make your first 5000 mistakes, the sooner you will be
able to correct them.