fc6 install fail on HP ProLiant ML320 G4

GianPiero Puccioni gianpiero.puccioni at isc.cnr.it
Wed Nov 8 10:54:06 UTC 2006

Mogens Kjaer:
 > Can you boot a knoppix cd and do an lspci and post the output here?

Hi,

I was able to install FC6 on the ML310 G3 but I am not sure what is happening....

First I disabled the RAID from the BIOS and installed with the "nodmraid"
option, the installation loaded the "ata_piix" driver and didn't hang as it did
with "ahci" after the graphics started and I was able to install on the first
disk (sda).
The machine booted regularly and was usable. I noticed that in the grub.conf the
  "nodmraid" was present in the boot line and the machine didn't boot when I
tried to delete it.

Then I enabled the RAID from the BIOS and tried to boot the machine, to my
surprise the RAID reported both disk as active and the RAID status as "optimal"
and the machine booted as before. Looking at both disks with fdisk it reported
as expected the first disk partitioned and the second empty.

Even more strange it seems that the machine now uses the ahci driver that hang
the machine in the first place, and now it starts even without the "nodmraid".

This are the bits dealing with this

lspci -v:
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial
ATA Storage Controller RAID (rev 01)
      Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 3206
      Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50
      I/O ports at 1080 [size=8]
      I/O ports at 1088 [size=4]
      I/O ports at 1090 [size=8]
      I/O ports at 1098 [size=4]
      I/O ports at 10a0 [size=32]
      Memory at fdce0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
      Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable+
      Capabilities: [a8] #12 [0010]

hwconf:
class: RAID
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: ahci
desc: "Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller
  RAID"
vendorId: 8086
deviceId: 27c3
subVendorId: 103c
subDeviceId: 3206
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev: 1f
pcifn:  2

dmesg:
ahci 0000:00:1f.2: AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 4 ports ? Gbps 0xf impl RAID mode
ahci 0000:00:1f.2: flags: 64bit ilck stag led pmp

Any idea?

GianPiero
--
GianPiero Puccioni                     | Istituto dei Sistemi Complessi - CNR
E-Mail: gianpiero.puccioniATisc.cnr.it | Via Madonna del Piano, 10