Show-stopper for me

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 13:47:26 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Tim, I know my Philips webcam was cheap, but it used to work with
> GnomeMeeting.  The picture was clear and the colour not too far out.  IIRC
> with FC4 I had no problem with the picture either, though I never got the
> sound part right.  With FC6 it is unusable.  I don't know whether it's the
> webcam or pwc.

That would be the pwc which got all the fuss back in 2004, right? It
depended on a closed-source user-space program to get decent output,
which used a special hook in the pwc driver. The hook was taken out by
Greg KH, and the driver maintainer got upset and demanded that the module
was withdrawn. A new maintainer took over the code, added some support
for the higher-resolution modes, and then Alan Cox had much of it removed
because there was reason to believe that the code wasn't legally "clean".

http://lwn.net/Articles/99615/
http://lwn.net/Articles/102246/
http://lwn.net/Articles/137824/

I'm not sure of the end of that tale. Meanwhile, FreshRPMs, at least,
offers a driver for FC6 that promises high-resolution support...

http://lwn.net/Articles/206077/

Hope this helps,

James.

--