FC-6: four small whinges

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 8 15:12:34 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> ne... wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/06, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> Well, I don't like to quote the competition,
> but Windows always seems to respond immediately you put a disk in
> and click OK.
> It seems clear to me that Anaconda knows a disk has been inserted,
> since the read starts immediately.
> Perhaps it should change the message to something like,
> "Please wait while we check the disk".

File a RFE.

>> I also use KDE and got the choice between KDE & GNOME. I used the DVD
>> tho. None was hidden. BUT, I also had to go thru the individual
>> packages and unselect the GNOME stuff as it wanted to install that
>> instead of the KDE defaults. I then had to select the KDE stuff.
>
> Exactly.
> That is what I meant by "hidden".
> Why not just ask if the user wants to use KDE or Gnome?

The initial selection is geared towards novice users with task based
groups instead of a blanket list of packages.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore6/004_Install_Default_Software

Other users who want to choose a specific desktop environment,text
editor, mail server or whatever can do that by selecting individual
packages or groups. Desktop environments are a very prominent choice there.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore6/007_Install_Applications

When repositories like extras/core are unified it would become unwieldy
if Anaconda has a separate step asking users if they want GNOME or KDE
or XFCE or other dozens of desktops environments and windows managers.

Rahul