Show-stopper for me

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 16:01:56 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 13:47, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Tim, I know my Philips webcam was cheap, but it used to work with
> > GnomeMeeting.  The picture was clear and the colour not too far out.
> > IIRC with FC4 I had no problem with the picture either, though I never
> > got the sound part right.  With FC6 it is unusable.  I don't know whether
> > it's the webcam or pwc.
>
> That would be the pwc which got all the fuss back in 2004, right? It
> depended on a closed-source user-space program to get decent output,
> which used a special hook in the pwc driver. The hook was taken out by
> Greg KH, and the driver maintainer got upset and demanded that the module
> was withdrawn. A new maintainer took over the code, added some support
> for the higher-resolution modes,

That much I do remember.  Under Mandrake/Mandriva I had used that older
driver.
> and then Alan Cox had much of it removed
> because there was reason to believe that the code wasn't legally "clean".

I must have missed that bit.  However, as I said, I did get a picture under
FC4.  I just never pursued it because I couldn't get the sound working, and
there wasn't sufficient reason to devote time to it.

> http://lwn.net/Articles/99615/
> http://lwn.net/Articles/102246/
> http://lwn.net/Articles/137824/
>
> I'm not sure of the end of that tale. Meanwhile, FreshRPMs, at least,
> offers a driver for FC6 that promises high-resolution support...
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/206077/

Odd.  I've looked over the whole list at http://zod.freshrpms.net/ and can't
see anything obvious.  Which package are you thinking of?

Anne