Why do so many packaged rely on gnome-panel?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 8 16:38:17 UTC 2006

Norm wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 14:50:51 -0600
> lostson <lostson at lostsonsvault.org> wrote:
>

>>On Saturday 04 November 2006 14:36, Norm wrote:

>>>I have virtually the same question except in reverse. I prefer Gnome
>>>yet I too have a number of dep from kde. It seems you can not have
>>>one with out the other.
>>
>> It depends on what apps you run, for instance if you are a gnome
>>user but = use=20
>>amarok it will require some kde deps. Same with kde, many of the
>>fedora too= ls=20
>>are gnome based so your gonna get gnome deps via that way.  Its a
>>horse a=20 piece most of the time and besides you get the best of
>>both worlds!! =2D-=20
>>LostSon
>>
>>http://www.lostsonsvault.org
>>
>>On Saturday 04 November 2006 14:36, Norm wrote:

>>>I have virtually the same question except in reverse. I prefer Gnome
>>>yet I too have a number of dep from kde. It seems you can not have
>>>one with out the other.
>>
>> It depends on what apps you run, for instance if you are a gnome
>>user but use amarok it will require some kde deps. Same with kde,
>>many of the fedora tools are gnome based so your gonna get gnome deps
>>via that way.  Its a horse a piece most of the time and besides you
>>get the best of both worlds!!
>
> That was actually the point I was aiming at.  There is no point in
> declaring oneself a which ever choice and getting into a snit if some
> of the other parts appear.  My guess is there is enough of a crossover
> between them that it would take a considerable effort to not load a
> package that needed the other ones deps -life is too short to worry
> about that.
> I suppose I could declare my self a purist and only run applications
> from command line but then I had enough of that in the era before the
> 1990s, and besides I am lazy if a gui works I prefer to go that route.

Someone may be able to confirm but didn't I read someplace about a
common base library for both gnome and kde being developed to get around
these issues?  I did a quick search but couldn't find the details at
this time.

I understand the reasoning behind this common front is to make it easier
to deploy either gnome or kde into the business environment and not have
to worry about searching for gnome or kde libs if you want an
application from the other.

--
Robin Laing