why did FC6 install a XEN kernel on my inspiron?

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:39:47 UTC 2006

Mike Cohler <mike.cohler <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > am not sure if I will be able to get away with installing the non-xen
> > > kernel when the next kernel update arrives so I guess for that machine
> > > I will probably
> > > have to do a re-install.
> >
> > Reinstallation is completely unnecessary. You can merely install the non
> > Xen kernel.
>
> I had already done the re-install when I saw your message !

A couple of observations.

1) When I just had the xen kernel, I installed the original non-xen kernel
using rpm -ivh, and booted to it.  This gave sadc errors on bootup.

With the newly installed normal kernel there are no longer any sadc errors
during boot.

2) I measured the frame rate for both the xen and non-xen kernels in this
laptop using glxgears....
For the xen kernel it was originally about 1100 fps - and when I installed
the non-xen kernel as well it reduced to about 850fps when running the
non-xen kernel.

With the newly installed non-xen kernel after a re-install of the OS,
glxgears also gives about 850fps.

Mike