FC4 to FC5 upgrade via YUM Question

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Thu Nov 9 13:54:27 UTC 2006

I finally figured out what happened.  I had inadvertantly turned on the enable flag for
some of the "development" repo files.  This indeed caused an upgrade to the latest.  I
had a mixture of fc5, fc6, and fc7 packages installed.

I restarted from the original FC4 base.  This time, I made sure all the devlelopement
packages were turned off.

The FC4 to FC5 upgrade went much smoother.  I did the install from another file
system using the --installroot option.  I needed to do this because for whatever reason,
I needed to remove the librpm4.4 package, which in turn causes yum to be removed.

Using the --installroot option from another file system allowed me to remove yum
then reinstall yum.

I have finally upgraded FC4 to FC5 via yum.

Jim