disable modules in xorg.conf?

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at lucent.com
Thu Nov 9 14:26:27 UTC 2006

> >> Yea, I suppose it might be possible that if there is a Modules
> >> section, the server won't provide modules on its own. I'll try
> >> that next time I have FC6 booted again.
> >
> > Yep, it worked. I turned all the "LoadModule:" lines in the xorg
> > log file into a "Modules" section in the xorg.conf file,
> then commented
> > out the ones I didn't want, and the new log file showed
> that it really
> > didn't load them.
> >
> > So I now have dri and glx turned off and I can try running
> for a while
> > to see if the screen flickering will also stop.
> >
> > No doubt the problem someone was having in another thread with vnc
> > is related. I think he said he added a Modules section to
> get the vnc
> > module to load, and all sorts of things stopped working. Probably it
> > was only loading vnc and nothing else. I love helpful software :-).
> >

> I'm glad that the config file at least allows you to control
> the loading
> of modules. I wondered why the vnc module was loaded when I ran X
> -configure to make an xorg.conf file. I guess this method of
> configuration that X -configure does might help out the
> people who use
> vnc also.

Thank you for the insight on using the Log to build up the Modules section.
This would be a very workable solution.  The FC6 X server must however be
getting the list of modules to load from somewhere.  I am wondering if there
is a way to find out how that list is derived and get VNC into that list.

Bob Styma