FC6 Amanda Question

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Nov 9 15:27:35 UTC 2006

Between FC4 and FC6 something changed in either the default iptables
firewall or Amanda.  I finally got Amanda backups working to my primary
desktop and laptop but had to add the following firewall rule:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 192.168.255.254 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 32768:
-j ACCEPT

where 192.168.255.254 is my backup server.  This opens all TCP ports
starting at 32758 and higher to my backup server.  I discovered this by
adding a logging rule right before my final reject rule (handy way to
diagnose firewall problems with applications).

So, which changed?  The firewall (now rejecting ports it used to leave
open) or Amanda (using ports that ip_conntrack can't follow)?

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce