How to open an application in a remote x session

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 9 16:23:33 UTC 2006

Dan Track wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel at todo-linux.com> wrote:
>> El Jueves, 9 de Noviembre de 2006 13:14, Dan Track escribió:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'd like to open an application on to an X session running remotely, I
>> > don't want to export it anywhere. Can somebody tell me how I can do
>> > that? For example lets say the programs are gedit and firefox.
>> >
>> > Thank in advance
>> > Dan
>>
>> It's quite easy using ssh -X and on /etc/ssh/sshd_config you should
>> add the
>> line: X11Forwarding yes
>>
>> I think i misunderstood you, why you don't want to export that
>> X-Session to
>> your localhost? Do you want to firefox, for instance, to run on the
>> remote
>> X-Session?
>> --
>> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply. Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear, lets
> say we have teh following:
>
> host1                                 host2
>
> I want the user on host2 to ssh to host1, then run say gedit which
> will opne up on the xdisplay the user has running on host1. Do you
> know how to do this?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

After you ssh to host1, you will need to ether set DISPLAY. Or you
will need to use the -display option when you start the program.

export DISPLAY=:0

or

xterm -display :0 &

This will only work for when you are logged into host1 as the user
that is logged into X on that machine, or if you have disabled X
security on host1. (See the xhost command - it has to be run in X on
host1.)

Mikkel