Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Nov 9 17:41:56 UTC 2006

Today Kim Lux did spake thusly:

> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 17:26 +0000, Scott van Looy wrote:
>
>> Uhm. Why don't you just:
>> rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
>> yum install fedorakmod
>> yum install kmod-nvidia
>>
>> Or is that a silly question?
>
> Silly, me, for not knowing that off the top of my head this morning when
> I couldn't google it.

Pretty much anything that's a driver is packaged as RPM somewhere by
someone. If you can't be bothered to find out whether or not the distro
you choose to use has these available drivers whilst they're working, then
don't whinge when they break? :P

> I already have livna installed as a repository. And, btw, if you read my
> post, you will see that I did "yum kmod-nvidia".  First of all, that
> FAILED for kernel 2798.

Works fine on all my nvidia GPU boxes

> Secondly, livna doesn't have a module built for
> 2835,

It's usually a few hours to a couple of days later before they're
available, I think I've only ever noticed the gap once

> just like they didn't have a <working> module for 2798 when I
> updated to fc6 !

They did. It just didn't have the shiny desktop effects stuff in. That was
in the livna-devel repo

>  Its not like I didn't try them, twice now !

Most of the rest of the people using their drivers aren't moaning about it
here, either the rest of the Nvidia users are wrong or you are...take your
pick? ;)

> And is this the sort of stuff we expect joe average computer user to do,

Installing drivers for hardware? Yep.

> because after all, Linux is ready for the <average> desktop !   So when
> my mom, who doesn't even know what a command line is, boots and X
> doesn't start, what do I do with her ?

This usually won't be the case. There's always a slight overlap, as I
said, of usually one or two days, when the kernel module isn't available
for that kernel, but fedorakmod makes sure that the RPMs stay in sync and
it just works

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003