Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Thu Nov 9 18:44:15 UTC 2006

Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> writes:

> > Which is why I use the prebuilt packages in Livna. I haven't touched the
> > original nVidia driver package in years, and it has been a breeze.
>
> Well, livna went off line a while ago, no ?

Livna is online now at least. It could have been a very temporary network
problem, possibly a local problem with your ISP or its MAN (Metropolitan
Area Network).

> So can we always trust someone else to build us a driver ?

I suggest you postpone such worries until nobody builds us a driver.

> Secondly, if you read my post, yum install kmod-nvidia didn't work and
> lots of other people had trouble with it too.

Could it possibly have been caused by your prior messing with the non-rpm
nVidia package? I think so.

> Well, does livna have a module for kernel 2835 ? Nope.  So I needed to
> do a manual installation.

No, AFAIK Livna does not have driver packages for development kernels.

> Now if nvidia would release their code to the kernel developers it could
> get built like ever other kernel module.

The ideal would certainly be to have nVidia release their drivers as open
source and having them integrated into the kernel. Unfortunately, I don't
see that happening soon.

> Can you imaging what Linux hardware support would be like if we had to do
> this for every piece of hardware on a PC ?

It would be extremely bad, but happily that isn't the case.

Regards
Ingemar