Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:56:52 UTC 2006

On 11/9/06, Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:38 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> > > Well, that answers that, doesn't it !  If I want dual monitors (I need
> > > them) I have to build drivers or wait for livna.  That sucks !
> >
> > sucks why?  I still don't understand why its so painful for you to
> > (re)install the nvidia driver whenever you change kernels (ignoring
> > the livna issues).
>
> let see... if the nvidia driver was part of the regular kernel driver
> set *like all the other hardware drivers are* then switching kernels is
> as fast as rebooting.

But its not, and that isn't anything new.  Are you saying that you
failed to be aware of that until recently, or that you just didn't
make any effort to research the hardware you were purchasing?

> Instead, when I reboot I get a command line instead of a graphical login
> screen and then I have to build a driver with ./NVIDIA*9629*.run.  And
> with new kernels, it only works 50% of the time.  When it fails you have

No, it works 100% of the time assuming that you're not using an old
version of the nvidia driver.  The kernel header change issue is *not*
an issue with 1.0-9629.  So if you hit that problem you were doing
something very wrong on your end.  1.0-9629 just works(tm) on all of
my FC6 systems.

> to download a new installer and try it or go search to see what other
> people are doing to make it build.   This isn't the first time I've had
> issues building an nvidia driver.  I've been running this laptop for 2
> years.

Right, and every time you come on here bitching & moaning and numerous
people point out how your problems are due to ignorance and/or
laziness on yoru part. Your response is always a rant on how "linux
isn't ready for the desktop" or "my mother couldn't do that".  You're
quickly turning into the list troll.

> The best was the time I had to test something under both a plain and smp
> kernel.  Every time I switched I had to build a new driver.  The switch
> took longer than the testing.

Then your test plan is broken.  Please stop your trolling & FUD
campaign, its growing old, and you're boring.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org