Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Nov 9 23:30:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:18 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 18:05 +0000, Scott van Looy wrote:
> > > Yes, this kernel is from updates-testing.  I don't see how that
> > changes
> > > anything.  Before anyone tells me that livna can't be expect to
> > provide
> > > modules for kernels in testing, please re read my post and note that
> > > tried to install kmod-nvidia from livna for 2798, not the new kernel
> > > (2835).   2798 was the stock box kernel for the fc6 upgrade.
> >
> > Testing is just that, if you have testing enabled on your primary PC
> > then
> > what do you expect to happen? Because testing isn't stable...
>
> This issue has nothing to do with the fact it was a testing kernel, as
> far as I can see.

It has everything to do with the unstable kernel.

The kernel module has to match the kernel it is used on.  Thus, unless
you are prepared to jump through the hoops of preparing your own driver
modules (the issue you obviously are whining about) you should not be
using the unstable kernels.

Since when does problems encountered when using a testing kernel apply
to making the _distribution_ unfit for desktop use?  It is after all in
testing and by definition is considered unstable and not ready for
release.  The released kernels and packages are stable and the are the
only thing any average user will ever see.

As has been said.... Quit whining about stuff that more than 99.9% of
the fedora users either never see or are prepared to deal with.
If you want to use testing do so, but be prepared to encounter problems
and do not bore the rest of us with your temper tantrums.