/dev/ttySx problems... solved

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 10 02:33:45 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 November 2006 21:07, stan mcintosh wrote:
>fredex wrote:
>>>Stan, have you tried using setserial to examine and change the
>>> properties of the serial port?
>
>I hadn't tried it until I saw your message, but I have now.  setserial
> helped me confirm that my ports are active, especially when someone else
> suggested that I copy a file to the serial port.  When the pins started
> coming alive (yes, a scope still does come in handy), that confirmed
> that the problem was not in hardware, BIOS, OS, or configuration.
>
>One problem was (possibly) that 'yum install' did not give the most
> up_to_date version of PikDev.  When I 'yum removed' the old version and
> installed a more recent RPM, pin control was fine.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>stan

Followup to my post of 30 seconds ago:
[root at coyote gene]# ls -l /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Nov  9 16:35 /dev/ttyS0
crw------- 1 root root 4, 65 Nov  9 16:35 /dev/ttyS1
crw------- 1 root root 4, 66 Nov  9 16:35 /dev/ttyS2
crw------- 1 root root 4, 67 Nov  9 16:35 /dev/ttyS3
[root at coyote gene]# setserial /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1: No such device or address

Now I'm really scratching my ancient head, its there, but it ain't, WTH?

--
Cheers, Gene