[Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 10 03:39:08 UTC 2006

Kim Lux wrote:
> Is it me or do people in this forum have a penchant for knocking
> others ?  What the heck does it matter what my Linux skills are ?  Not
> that they are lacking !  Did you need to demonstrate your Linux
> superiority with your *clever* command line humor ?

The ideal for the list is for helping others to get their systems up and
running and exchange ideas a bit.
The personality of the list is changing as time goes by. The top posters
have moved on or are only posting once in awhile for tough problems that
they might be able to help with. I hope the tone of the list doesn't
become one of knocking down others because of their perspectives. We all
don't think alike, so allowances should be made for allowing others to
express their views. If someone does not like some post, don't respond
to agitate. The posting will come once from the poster and be a lonely
thread with no additional postings. I have many "lone threads" in the
archives myself.

> The issue here is that I think its time nvidia open sourced their video
> drivers to avoid the nonsense that occurs every time one changes
> kernels ! Why people on a *Linux forum* would oppose that is beyond
> me ! I'm beginning to understand why outsiders refer to Linux people
> as zealots !

Google is working fine for me using Lynx. I am also using a NVidia card
since it was the only AGP card that I found among cards that were passed
onto me.

Anyway, I am not happy with NVidia keeping the drivers closed but it is
their hardware, so why should I worry other than to not buy their
products intentionally. If I get one out of cards passed onto me, I'll
use it, may attempt to use the binary module, but will eventually try
for one that is open sourced. There is one open sourced which is trying
to get 3D working. I am currently running a driver for NVidia called
"nouveau" instead of the closed source drivers. It does not seem to be
too high in performance right now, but it at least is trying to move
forward with the ideal of an OSS 3D driver for Linux.

Sorry for the added noise, I got tired of the one posting threads.

Jim

--
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
		-- Sagan