Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 05:21:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:30 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 19:13 +0100, Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
> > Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> writes:
> >
> > > Yes, this kernel is from updates-testing.  I don't see how that changes
> > > anything.

I thought that the original complaint read that yum installed the
kernel, but if it comes from testing, how is that so?

> > No? You happily use kernels from the testing repository, and then complain
> > a lot when there are problems. If you want to stay out of trouble, don't
> > use testing kernels.
>
> There are no problems with the kernel !  None.  If there was a problem
> with the kernel, I would stop using it and reboot the 2798 kernel !
> That is one of the advantages of using Linux !
>
> I didn't realize that the kernel installed, but I was waiting for an
> updated kernel and I'm happy to be running it.

Jeeez, if yum is over-night installing kernels from testing, isn't that
broken?

> The problem here is with having to BUILDING a driver module for the
> nvidia hardware in my laptop.
>
> Only problem is that to reboot the 2798 kernel, I have to build another
> friggin nvida module !  Uggghhh !   You can imagine how much I like
> switching back and forth between kernels.

If you removed the offending kernel would your previous kernel just do
as you wish and compile the nVidia module you want? Then problem solved?
It's worth considering. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net