How to format a pen drive?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 10 05:26:22 UTC 2006

John Wendel wrote:

> I've never used it, but there is a filesystem made specially for flash
> devices, JFFS2. It's available in the standard kernel. Google has more
> details.

JFFS2 is used for Memory technology devices mainly. We have embedded
systems that use JFFS2 for the rwflashes. (Execute in place capable
devices)
For the devices however that are NAND (or emulate regular hard disks),
JFFS2 does not really do much good. I played around once with a CF card
and did not get very far. It was fun however. I did send questions to
the CF card developers and to my understanding the wear leveling is
performed by algorithms for the controller and are not dependent upon
the filesystem type, FAT does not have wear leveling to my knowledge, so
it makes a bit of sense.

Jim

--
When all else fails, read the instructions.