default mail app

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Fri Nov 10 11:59:40 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 5:25 am, Rob Andrews wrote:
> On 09-Nov-2006 18:00.05 (GMT), John Aldrich wrote:
>  > > Hi John. Preferred applications used to be on KDE's menu, but no
>  > > longer is, but if you go to /usr/share/applications, and double click
>  > > on "gnome-default-applications" you can change the default mailreader.
>  >
>  > I really wish that if Fedora is going to package KDE and Gnome, that
>  > they would make it easier to change the default apps... it's annoying as
>  > hell! :/
>
> You'll find a section called "Preferred Applications" in your GNOME
> Preferences menu. This will allow you to change the default mail
> application.
>
> As for KDE, I really don't know.

And that, I think, is the problem. Fedora/RedHat expects you to make the
appropriate changes in Gnome, or at least relies on the Gnome settings for
the defaults. What we need is a *unified*, Window-manager-neutral way of
specifying the default apps. *shrug* Oh, well... at least I've got my default
apps set now, finally. :-)