Adding a SCSI controller and SCSI Tape drive

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 10 13:10:41 UTC 2006

>Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Friday 10 November 2006 03:34, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>>> I'm running out of ideas so I'm turning back to the list for help, what
>>> I have tried:
>>>
>>> 3 different SCSI cards (Adaptec 2940, 2940UA, and 29320A)
>>> 3 different tape drives (2 DLT drives 20/40, 15/30, and an exabyte 8mm
>>> 7/15)
>>>
>> I have stayed out of this thread as I don't know a great deal about scsi
>> cards.  What I do know, though, is that Adaptec are known for producing
>> non-conforming scsi adapters.  I found this out a long time ago, when trying
>> to get scsi devices running under windows.  If you have access to any other
>> scsi card try replacing the Adaptec one.  HTH
>
>I've used many different adaptec adapters with many
>different DLT's on all sorts of versions of Fedora and Redhat.
>
>It has always Just Worked.
>
>- unless there has been a cable or termination problem.

I missed the original post, but FWIW, I have had some trouble
with Adaptec 29320's. I have a Jetstor RAID-array which wont
operate beyond U160 when talking to Adaptec, but will run at
U320 when talking to an LSI-Logic adapter. This is identified
by the manufacturer as an Adaptec problem, to do with 16byte
CRDB's when using large logical-block-addresses.

I've also had problems with DLT2 tapedrives on these Adaptec adapters,
whereby unless I write records > 64K, records get dropped.
There is no problem with DLT1. I've not yet had the chance to
try the DLT2 drive on the LSI adapter.

Terry.