Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 16:25:44 UTC 2006

Alex White wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

>> Instead of reacting to the tone of the complaint, try doing a little
>> introspection and see whether there isn't a kernel of truth hiding
>> in there, and a way in which Linux could grow up a little. Having
>> a published supported driver interface would ease support not only
>> for NVIDIA drivers, but for all drivers. And that's something worth
>> considering.
>>
>> (No pun intended above.)
>>
>> Mike
>
> Then this is still the wrong place for Kim or yourself to be discussing
> the issue. This is a users list. Fedora is a distribution unrelated to

Silly me. I thought I qualified as a user by having Fedora installed
and running on my machine 24/7. I guess I'll have to go back and search
the Red Hat website and find the official definition of user.

> the kernel development and progression that takes place with the kernel
> developers. The distributions all patch the vanilla kernel. So what
> needs to happen with this particular issue is for Kim and others to
> discuss this the lkml. Period.

Silly me, again. I thought the forum was for discussion of issues
affecting Fedora releases.

> The users here are not going to fix this. Kernel Developers would fix
> this, if they even consider it broken. It's not a matter of growing up,

And they will not consider it broken until such time as users get
together and petition for that. And users can't rally unless they
have a forum and discussion about it, can they?

> although Kim has been told on multiple occasions this is not the forum
> for his ranting, perhaps he needs or does not need to take said advice;

I have mentioned that I don't like the tone of the thread. But that
doesn't mean that all who are concerned with the future of Linux
can't discuss this issue, and perhaps find a recommended approach
to resolving this issue, and go to the developers with it.

Just to dismiss a complaint because it is presented in an obnoxious
manner is to throw out the baby with the wash.

> however, I don't know him and don't really care what his mental state
> happens to reflect. He has gleefully ignored at least to my eyes the
> various and multiple comments to address this issue elsewhere. A user
> list is not the proper forum for making suggestions about kernel
> development issues with regards to driver interfaces. Distributions are
> not part of that process, unless they write an interface and submit it
> to the kernel developers.

Who appointed you moderator? I guess I'll have to go back to the Red
Hat website and reread the moderator list.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.