Disk too slow, can not keep pace!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 17:33:30 UTC 2006

Next step :-)  When recording my video I'm seeing the above message.

hdparm /dev/hdb
gives me:

/dev/hdb:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 234441648, start = 0

Some documentation I saved some time back states

Enabling DMA is simple - hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
and
For example 'hdparm -d1 -X69 /dev/hdX (but it will change per drive and
system)tells /dev/hd(whatever) to use DMA (-d1) and to run in UDMA5 mode
(-X69)

I thought that the hdparm command actually told you what dma level is set, but
I must be remembering it wrongly.  I don't like to mess with something like
this without some knowledgeable hand-holding.  Any recommendations?

Anne