Wine & Matlab blues

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Nov 10 18:22:20 UTC 2006

Iwan Setyawan wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I hope somebody in this list can help me getting Wine & Matlab to work.
> I installed Matlab
> on my Windows partition, but I work mostly (and preferably) in Linux.
>
> My first attempt to use Wine to run Matlab ( 6.5R13) was using a very
> old version of Wine,
> (installed wine-0.9.2-1fc4winehq.i686.rpm) on an FC5 box. As expected,
> Matlab sort of
> worked when invoked using the -nojvm parameter.
>
> I have since tried various (newer) versions of wine (up to 0.9.21,
> downloaded the rpm from
> the fedora's extras repo) and Matlab simply ceased to work. Everytime I
> tried to run Matlab
> it simply freezes (although the Java desktop did show up). Actually it
> didn't really freeze. It just
> seems take ages to do the initialization stuff. This also happens if I
> invoke the -nojvm parameter.
>
> Then I tried to install a newer version of Matlab (version 7). I
> followed the procedure described
> in appdb.winehq.com <http://appdb.winehq.com> (apparently some people
> was able to get Matlab to work) to the letter.
> When I tried to run Matlab, everything seems to work with one exception:
> I cannot open figures!
> (Actually, Matlab seems to be able to open it, but simply refuses to
> display it). This happens both
> with and without the -nojvm parameter.
>
> I am currently running FC6 with Wine 0.9.24 and things are simply
> getting worse. First of all, I
> cannot run wine properly (it cannot properly create the .wine
> directory). The only way to make
> wine to run at all was to sudo it. When Wine does run, I still cannot
> run Matlab properly (similar
> problems as above, except now I simply cannot run Matlab 6.5 without
> invoking -nojvm).
>
> I am completely lost here. Can anybody help me (or point me to a place
> where I can find
> an answer)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Iwan
>
> PS. No, I cannot use Matlab for Linux (can't afford it). No, I cannot
> use Octave (compatibility
> problems, I don't want to check and possibly rewrite the codes I already
> have)

My FC4 has a newer version of Wine that you do. wine-core-0.9.24-1.fc4
from the fedora project.

I did notice that there were some changes to wine and my old
configuration files wouldn't work and I wonder if that is what happened
to you in the upgrade.

Did you run winecfg after installing?  I never got the wine version from
the Wine site to work properly in the past.  Of course I only use one
Windows application and that is for my FTA receiver.

--
Robin Laing