Foreign Device Drivers WAS: sucks!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 18:30:28 UTC 2006

ethericalzen at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:25:22 -0600
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> took out a #2 pencil and
> scribbled:
>

>>We already have the "captive NTFS" project which loads "foreign"
>>device drivers. Why not build upon that effort? Isn't this
>>something worthy of discussion?
>

> Whoops, itchy ctrl-enter fingers there. It is indeed worthy of
> discussion. I'm not at all opposed to discussing things such as
> building upon or improving things like nvidia and NTFS. Isn't that
> similar to what livna (I don't regularly use livna so I'm speaking
> outside my realm of experience here at this point) does or at least
> attempts to do?

I'm not familiar with livna. I've barely used NTFS on a couple of
occasions, and then only to read.

[snip]

> Would I prefer to have that sort of thing native within linux?
> Sure, but currently that's not the reality of it and will not be
> for some time. Quite some time, unfortunately. As a side question,
> do you believe that this makes linux less of an "average user" sort
> of OS?

Of course, doing things natively is usually superior to using
foreign. Yes this is one of the ways that Linux is more of a
"techie" vs. "Joe Schmoe" targetted OS.

Anyone interested in investigating what it would take to encourage

[1] The owner of the captive NTFS to consider expanding the project
to be more general, perhaps being able to load other drivers and

[2] The Linux kernel developers to make something like this be
part of the regular distro kernel?

If a few respond positively, then perhaps we can make some progress
instead of whining perpetually about how the OTHER OS always has
drivers for it, but we don't get 'em.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.