Runaway cpu

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Nov 10 19:17:58 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 10 November 2006 18:49, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>I wonder if you are having a power supply problem looking at the errors.
>

> I don't think so, because I don't normally see any messages like this.
>

>>  If you have sensors running, check your voltages.  Or check them in
>>your bios if you can.
>>

> Next time I reboot, I'll take a look.  lm_sensors can't read much from this
> motherboard (Abit KV8-PRO).
>

>>are the sd(x) errors external devices or internal drives?
>>

> They are all concerning my efforts to get the usb webcam working.  I tried two
> models of webcam in various connectors.
>

>>I had a power supply that was just at the limit and it affected DVD
>>usage.  Then I had a power supply that had a low 5volt rail that was
>>causing hard drive errors.
>>
>>The low power supply could be affected when you plug in a USB device.
>>
>>FWIW, my low voltage rail was on a power supply that was less than a
>>year old.
>>

> I can't help but feel that if it was a power issue I'd be seeing these
> messages regularly.  Still, thanks for trying to help.
>
> Anne

My last power problem only occurred rarely at first.  When I was trying
to write a dual-layer DVD.  Then it increased to inserting a DVD in the
DL drive.  The single layer drive worked.  Then a strange noise once in
a while from the case.  Finally ending in one of the raid drives
crashing.  The +5v rail was at 4.4 volts if I am correct.

With the first power supply, the problems would occur when trying to
write DVD's but only some times.  Then I would get a system lockup.

As the web camera is drawing power from the USB buss, it may be
indicating a problem that is only at the edge of being major.

--
Robin Laing