The plus plus

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Nov 10 19:48:56 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I always thought your basic data type in C should be "array of struct"
> regardless of the actual elements you plan to use. Otherwise the
> semantics don't make sense when you start storing things in allocated
> or shared memory.  You don't need C++ for that - it has been there
> from the beginning.

Yes but once you arrive at that concept, after a short while at least
two other ideas arrive:

  - how do I manage init of these structs, allocation of malloc()-ed
elements and free()-ing them to avoid leakage?

  - how do I build on this struct and functions dealing with it, made at
such care are cost, where I have needs that in turn build on the
valuable capabilities I made?

these are inherent, inescapable needs that follow from the creating of a
valuable data-structure-and-associated-code.  That's why they bothered
to make a C++ grown out of C.  They have been there and done it years
ago, Les!

-Andy