Mounting USB devices with stable names

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 21:04:32 UTC 2006

Robin Laing wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Robin Laing wrote:
>>

>>> I label all my devices when I format them.  They then mount as
>>> /media/{label name}.
>>
>> You label your cameras and printers when you format them?
>>

> Oops, I should have said cards and hard drives.  All my USB devices are
> either cards or hard drives.  I take the card out of my camera as it
> doesn't drain the batteries then.

If you persisted, I was going to ask you about your keyboard and mouse.

:-)

Furthermore, my question also involved (if you read my original
message) ethernet cards.

I trow you don't label your ethernet cards when you format them. :-)

[snip]

>> That doesn't fix the fact that /etc/fstab has to point to a device
>> name, and that is a moving target. Sometimes I have to mount /dev/sda1
>> and sometimes /dev/sde1 and sometimes /dev/sdf1 for the same physical
>> device.
>>
>> Mike
>

> I look at the mount point to work with.  In my case, all my cards or

You didn't address my statement, though. Currently, my fstab has to
have the mount parameters in it, and that has to point to a node in
/dev. The node I need to use changes based on the phase of the moon,
and other things I don't have control over. So each time I boot, I have
to edit /etc/fstab to fiddle it up to correspond to how the machine
came up. This is true even if I use the mount point when mounting
(which I normally do), rather than the device node (which I rarely
do).

> HD's will mount under media with the name they are labeled with.  Thus
> my work HD comes up with my section and my name every time.
>
> My work thumb drives do the same thing.

You seem to be talking about a separate topic, altogether, now.

I asked about a unified approach to having persistent naming of
devices under Linux. You appear not to be discussing this topic.
You seem to be discussing having persistent naming for file
systems, for which so far I have had no need.

It appears that there may be a partial solution for disc or
disc emulating devices with udev, the jury is still out on
that one for me, especially as I haven't investigated the
controversy that seems to surround it. But I'm grateful
for the pointer to udev, and intend to investigate it further.
It appears to address somewhat the issue of printers, as
well. It does not seem to address ethernet ports.

The overall topic seems not to have been addressed at all,
AFAICT.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.