Enough, already!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 21:37:22 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>> I object to your victim stance on this matter. There is something
>

> Not at all, I am on a public mailing list agreeing with an until-now
> vilified Kim that the nVidia binary sucks.  I don't claim to be a victim
> of nVidia.

But you claim the hypothetical person below is...

>> you can do to cause them to change their minds. Refuse to buy their
>> product.
>

> Point is some minion in a company where some other faceless creature has
> ordered a bazillion Dell boxes with nVidia cannot "refuse to buy their
> product".  What does your philosophy say to the person stuck with that?
>  STFU because they have a "victim stance" and that is unmanly?

This is exactly victim stance. I don't know what country you are in,
I am in the USA, and slavery is prohibited here. This hypothetical
worker is presumably an adult and compus mentis, and so has made
a decision to remain in the employ of the company, which has made
the decision.

Furthermore, if the video doesn't work, then is it not this hypothetical
employee's responsibilty to fix it. It is the responsibility of the
person in that company who installs the OS and hardware and drivers,
etc. This person is certainly not the faceless minion you suppose.

>> I happen to believe that only individuals acting on their beliefs
>> with faith can make a difference. Masses of people sitting around
>> complaining accomplish nothing.
>
> Sounds good to me, and yet people are swayed by succinctly expressed
> opinion at the right moment, despite the opinionated guy is "sitting

Certainly succinctly posed and thoughtful arguments are persuasive
to those who can be swayed by reason.

> around".  Somebody should stand up for the truth that binary blobs are a
> PITA, no matter if it is unpopular to hear right now when it is
> fashionable to blame Kim for pointing it out.

Fine.

> Anyway, go ahead and have the last word.

Mike

You have found the bank of Larn.