What determines the order of ethernet devices?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Nov 10 21:48:41 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> One issue that occurred when going from FC-5 to FC-6 on my desktop was
> that the order of the 3 ethernet devices changed. This didn't really
> cause a problem; I simply permuted the files
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[012]. But I wondered: 1. What
> caused this change? 2. Is there any simple way of ensuring that a
> given device is say eth0?
You can use the HWADDR parameter in each ifcfg-eth[012] file to specify
the MAC address of the corresponding NIC.  This keeps things stable
during normal operations.

If the cards are all the same, this situation can be a real bear during
installation.  I guess that's a benefit to going gigabit for my internal
network.  I left my "external card" as a 10/100 since that's plenty fast
enough to deal with the data rate from my ISP.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce