Installing FC4 via external USB

Derrich Hafemann dhafemann at nextcomputing.com
Fri Nov 10 21:51:22 UTC 2006

All,

I'm trying to install FC4 (x64) from an external USB DVD device. For
reasons that are too long to explain, an internal IDE device is not an
option. It has to be external USB for the installation.

I'm able to boot the FC4 installer without any problems. I see that the
installer automatically loads the usb-storage driver. I choose my
language, my keyboard map and then I'm prompted to tell Fedora where the
installation media is located. Here, I choose "Local CDROM". At this
point, the installer no longer recognizes that there's a USB DVD device
attached.

The installer then prompts me to choose a driver from the list or to
provide my own driver disk. Nothing in the list is appropriate, and I'm
not sure that I need to give the installer a driver that it's already
loaded (usb-storage).

Is it possible to install FC4 from an external DVD? Have I done
something incorrectly, or have I missed a step?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Derrich