Mounting USB devices with stable names

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 22:12:23 UTC 2006

Robin Laing wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

>> You didn't address my statement, though. Currently, my fstab has to
>> have the mount parameters in it, and that has to point to a node in
>> /dev. The node I need to use changes based on the phase of the moon,
>> and other things I don't have control over. So each time I boot, I have
>> to edit /etc/fstab to fiddle it up to correspond to how the machine
>> came up. This is true even if I use the mount point when mounting
>> (which I normally do), rather than the device node (which I rarely
>> do).
>

> In my case, hal sets the fstab.  There are no entries for /dev/sd(x) in
> my work computer.  At least not until I plug in my USB stick.

Once again, you have not addressed my statement. I need to override the
default mount modes on my FLASH stick.

> This is the tail of my /etc/fstab at work before I insert my stick.
>
> /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> -----
> Here it is after.
>
> /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/sda1               /media/Robin_Laing      vfat
--------------------------------------------------^^^^

This does not meet my needs. I do not want a vfat mount.

[snip]

> It is done automatically.

First, that does not happen automatically on my machine.
Second, even if it did, it would not address my needs. I wish
to override the default mount.

[snip]

>> The overall topic seems not to have been addressed at all,
>> AFAICT.Now my ethernet ports (embeded on mother board) seem to be set
>> in /etc/sysconfig/ or someplace.  I don't remember.  I have only had
>> one issue with ethernet since putting FC4 on my computer.  See what
>> happens when FC6 gets installed.
>

>> Mike
>

> Now my ethernet ports (embedded on mother board) seem to be set in
> /etc/sysconfig/ or someplace.  I don't remember.  I have only had one
> issue with ethernet since putting FC4 on my computer.  See what happens
> when FC6 gets installed.  I only use the one port.
 >
> I find it hard to have a default name for every device as that would
> entail millions of names to deal with duplication of devices on the same
> machine.  If the device is identified, then that should be enough.  Let
> the user customize.

But that's precisely what the user *can't* customize, as I've been
pointing out. Which physical card is eth0 and which is eth1 is
not something the user has control over. I only have one USB disc
on my machine. It is always connected. But when I boot it is
sometimes /dev/sda, sometimes /dev/sde. I have no control.

[snip]

> I am no wizard with this and you are now asking me questions beyond my
> experience.

I'm not a wizard at this, either. :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.