MIDI

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Nov 10 22:45:34 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 23:17, Alan Lake wrote:
> I am not able to play MIDI files with XMMS or KMID.
>
> I'm running vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen on an AMD x86_64 box.  My sound
> card is on the motherboard and is an nForce3 AC'97.  I added AMIDI-plug
> 0.6 to XMMS.  I'm using ALSA backend 0.8, which outputs to Midi Through
> at port 14:0.  My mixer setting is 0:Synth:0.  The Alsamixer shows PCM
> as turned on.  MIDI music appears to play, but no sound comes out.  XMMS
> does play some other formats, like ogg.
>
> Thanks for helping to figure out how to configure xmms so as to be able
> to play MIDI files.

The only soundcards you are going to be able to play midi with are Audigy ones
using emu drivers, and thats only after loading soundfonts. For other cards
you will need to use Qsynth for example, load a soundfont onto that, and then
play Kmid through that.

Soundfonts are available from many places on the Internet, but hammersound is
one I use. http://www.hammersound.net/

A GM one is probably the best to get.

Nigel.