How to mount and umount a USB pen drive without being root?

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 01:43:44 UTC 2006

on 11/05/2006 06:49 PM Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 23:42 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
>> Dear All
>>
>> How to mount and umount a USB pen drive without being root?
> ----
> that should be automatic as long as you are runlevel 5 and logged in as
> a user. It should automatically mount
> in /media/SOME_DEVICE_NAME_LIKE_USB_DISK
What bothers me that the behavior in fc6 is different from fc4. What I
used to do was to turn off the automount of the removable storage in
gnome-volume-properties and mount everything manually, using the fact
that the mounting node was immediately created in /media when, say, a
pendrive was plugged in. It gives me kind of confidence that everything
is under my control... :)

Now I see (fc6) that despite the fact that the drive is recognized
properly (/dev/sdaX is created) and it appears in nautilus under
"computer" the mounting point in /media is not created anymore and no
record in fstab until you mount the drive through the
right_click/double_click. So there is no way to mount it from command
line (or at list I dont know about any) and I have to open anutilus
every time I want to mount something. It seems like now hal is not even
using /etc/fstab for creating the record about the removable media... We
are moving further and further away from good old linux... Does anyone
know the way to rollback to the old behavior?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./