Installing FC4 via external USB

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Nov 11 01:48:48 UTC 2006

Derrich Hafemann wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm trying to install FC4 (x64) from an external USB DVD device. For
> reasons that are too long to explain, an internal IDE device is not an
> option. It has to be external USB for the installation.
>
> I'm able to boot the FC4 installer without any problems. I see that the
> installer automatically loads the usb-storage driver. I choose my
> language, my keyboard map and then I'm prompted to tell Fedora where the
> installation media is located. Here, I choose "Local CDROM". At this
> point, the installer no longer recognizes that there's a USB DVD device
> attached.
>
> The installer then prompts me to choose a driver from the list or to
> provide my own driver disk. Nothing in the list is appropriate, and I'm
> not sure that I need to give the installer a driver that it's already
> loaded (usb-storage).
>
> Is it possible to install FC4 from an external DVD? Have I done
> something incorrectly, or have I missed a step?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Derrich

I had a problem during a test release where the USB-DVD unit was not
known by the installer which gave me the prompt that you are getting.
The driver was added and it now works for me. I submitted a bug report
which was fixed fairly fast.
Of course I had an i386 computer which might make a difference for your
problem. USB DVD drives are there but it is hard to know if yours is
recognized as such.
You might hunt in bugzilla for anaconda related problem regarding USB
DVD recorders.
Just a clue, I know it is not of much help.

Jim

--
The revolution will not be televised.