FC5 -> FC6 upgrade bombing out with elfutils errors

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 02:02:08 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > I'm trying to upgrade an FC5-x86_64 system to FC6-x86_64 via yum (yes,
> > i know this is unsupported).  I've done 4 upgrades already like this,
> > but they were all x86, rather than x86_64, so this is my first 64bit
> > upgrade.  The yum upgrade process keeps failing with a ton of
> > dependency errors related to elfutils & elfutils-libelf.  Anyone else
> > run into this?
> >

> Do you have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed? Is something
> else pulling in dependencies for either package that is causing the
> problem? Have you tried to run update on the libelf packages first since
> they are causing the conflict?
>
> Unfortunately, I have no 64-bit machine to help.

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I did have the i386 versions installed as
well, so its possible that was the issue.  Those were good
suggestions, but unfortunately, impatience got the better of me, and I
tried to force the upgrade, which then completely broke rpm.
Thankfully doing an upgrade with anaconda worked, so I'm back in
business.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org