Problem with the serial port in Fedora Core 6

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 11 15:00:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 01:46 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Now, I snipped the USB stuff back out.  And, note that the 8250 is set
> >> for 32 of them, with 4 being the default.  My working kernel is 2 & 2
> >> there. I think I need a beer, coffee isn't working anymore :)
> >>
> >> Can we file a bug?
> >
> >----
> >perhaps you should try to absorb the information from Mikkel's post
> >first - the one that you seemingly have ignored, not the one you already
> >responded to.
>
> I have read it, several times.  The symptoms he reports are identical to
> mine including the responses of setserial.
----
not that post - that is what I was saying...this post

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-November/msg02696.html
----
>   And, you are missing my
> point, which is that I can swap the two drives, putting the drive with
> FC2 on it back in the hda position, boot 2.6.19-rc5 from it, and it all
> Just Works(TM).  I'd image the FP, if booted to an older release, would
> fine his serial ports are just fine too.
----
not at all missing your point. It's a theory assuming that the kernel is
the issue.

His message is that udev controls this but you can spend all the time
you want trying to compile a kernel to fix your lack of understanding of
udev if you choose. His suggestion is that the ports are there but
perhaps not where you expect them (i.e. ttyS0 and ttyS1 might not be the
correct handles).
----

> In other words Craig, the hardware is fine, that particular software is a
> 10 day old carcass.
----
in the hands of someone who wants to build a mountain out of a molehill
to solve a problem that this someone that has a theory that this is a
kernel problem but no actual comprehension of udev. On FC-2, udev barely
existed (I don't recall exactly but I do recall that FC-2 was the first
release of 2.6 kernel for Fedora so I am sure that if udev existed in
FC-2, it was not implemented anything like it's form in FC-6).
----
> Now, I've just spent the better part of 3 hours playing 10,000 monkeys in
> the FC6/boot/grub/grub.conf, trying make either a direct boot from the
> drive containing the FC2 install, or to chainload it after setting a root
> (hd1,0) between the title line & the kernel lines, and specing
> root=/dev/hdb7 as a kernel argument.  That would be a whole lot simpler.
>
> But I cannot get any of my entries that point to /dev/hdb to even show up
> in the boot menu on a reboot.  I have added /dev/hdb to the devices.list
> also, and I have edited the /etc/fstab of the FC2 disk to reflect that
> its now /dev/hdb instead of /dev/hda.
>
> Running an 'mbchk grub.conf' reports theres "no multiboot header", and
> while the word 'multiboot' is used in the info file, this "multiboot
> header" isn't defined that I can find.  Thats what I love about linux
> docs, always 6 months out of date, like when did they change the 'initrd'
> line to be a 'module' line?  Or are there subtle differences but the
> usage happens to appear identical?
>
> Anyway, here is the grub.conf as it exists now, whats wrong with it?
> ----------------
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=7
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> # hiddenmenu
> # 0
> title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
> 	module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> 	module /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.img
>
> # 1
> title Fedora Core 6 (2.6.19-rc5)
> 	root(hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.19-rc5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
> 	module /initrd-2.6.19-rc5.img
>
> # 2
> title Fedora Core 2 Menu
> 	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> 	chainloader +1
> # 3
> title DOS
>         rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>         chainloader +1
>
> --------------
> # 1 will unpack, and boot to a missing console message, locked up, so
> somethings still missing even after I added the LVM stuffs.  It works
> fine for FC2, but without the LVM stuff that I built into this version
> after getting a very early crash because it wasn't there.  And believe it
> or not, the last 'DOS' entry does display in the boot menu.
----
I can't tell that anything is wrong with your grub.conf other than I've
never seen the labels that you have added in grub and wonder about them.
I also wonder if the grub conf that you think is loading is the one that
is actually loading since when you add a second disk to the equation,
BIOS doesn't always see disk (hd0) or (hd1) as you think it will.

Craig