MIDI

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 11 21:21:29 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 November 2006 15:04, jdow wrote:
>From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

>>>I'm having no success at all with this.  I do remember that in kmid
>>> settings I had to try the different midi devices to find the one that
>>> worked, but so far I haven't got any of them working.  I'm also
>>> concerned that it is looking at /usr/share/apps/kmid/maps/gm.map, and
>>> wonder if this should be ringing bells for me, but it isn't :-(
>>>
>>>You did remark about getting a gm font - could you amplify, please?
>>> I'm not sure what I'm looking for on the hammersound site.
>>>
>>>Also, do I have to do anything more to get kmid to recognise the
>>> soundfonts I do have installed?
>>>
>>>Anne
>>
>> I was just playing with kmidi here, and found that I had to configure
>> the midi path to one of the 4 channels shown under my audigy 400 entry
>> in that menu. Setting it to the card itself didn't work.  What I did
>> was start a .mid file playing, and then played with the midi menu
>> until it worked.  I had already loaded the CT4MGM.* soundfont file
>> thats on the audigy cd.
>>
>> Your config/midi menu will show up differently for the hammerfall card
>> of course. If it will pass, I've attached a .png of that menu.
>
>For what it is worth the state of MIDI on 'ix is one of the chief
>reasons I do not do more of my professional development on an 'ix
>operating system. Microsoft MIDI is bad enough. But 'ixish MIDI
>is sickening to work with the last times I tried. Good luck.
>
>{o.o}   <- needs MIDI with sub-millisecond accuracy for some things.
>        SMF files can't do that. But the software we have can. Even
>        millisecond accuracy on ix machines has been "amusing" to
>        try to get. Making arpeggios work right is bad enough. But
>        MIDI Show Control and MIDI Machine Control sometimes needs
>        that 1 ms or finer timing accuracy to make effects work right.

Yup, and its been a constant src of amazement to this old fart that when
the midi spec was setup, they used a serial port, thats fine, but when
they set the data rate at only 31,250 baud, which was then about 8% of
the state of the art in hardware, by the time you've outputted a whole
orchestra's next note, its going to be about as accurate as the humans in
that orchestra.

Consistently attrocious timeing, with the horns always 1/16 beat late
unless the actual output order of each instrument is scrambled in the
order output.  That would make it sound a heck of a lot less mechanical.
And there isn't a heck of a lot that can be done until we put midi on an
optical circuit running at several megabytes/sec.  Something like TOS
maybe?

--
Cheers, Gene