OT: Novell Is Not SCO

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 12 17:34:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 12:09 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 12 November 2006 11:43, Craig White wrote:

> >> Still fairly polarized, but still worth the read:
> >>
> >> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/20061109a.html
> >>
> >> And PJ (groklaw) has a story about it today.
> >
> >----
> >and likewise, samba developers took a position today
> >
> >http://news.samba.org/announcements/team_to_novell/
> >
> >Craig
>
> Knee-jerk reaction by me would have been to demand that samba and cifs be
> removed from their distribution, but I see it didn't quite come to that,
> so its just so much hot air.  Unfortunately...
----
they really can't do that. If it is demonstrated that this deal does
indeed violate GPL license and thus disqualifies Novell from legally
distributing GPL licensed software, it won't go unnoticed.

Interestingly enough, this event probably gives rise to the best
argument in favor of GPL v3 than all other events.

Craig