Why I hate "info"

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Nov 12 19:47:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, AragonX wrote:

> <quote who="Timothy Murphy">
>> <flame>
>> Am I alone in thinking that the info program
>> encourages bad documentation?
>> <snip...>
>> </flame>
>
> I'm not sure if it does or not but I find it difficult to navigate info.
> I'm a man page nut but once it refers me to the info documentation, I'm in
> trouble.  Perhaps I just haven't taken enough time to learn info but man
> seems to work well enough...  All the fancy navigation just confuses my
> old brain.  It's kinda like emacs vs vi to me.  I'm just a simple vi man.
> Emacs has a lot of fancy features but I just want to get the job done.
>

> Down with info!  Man forever!!!  LOL

+99

Having said that, pinfo is slightly easier to use and understand than info.

IMO there are very few bigger pieces of garbage out there than info pages.

The only reason I use them at all is, because I am forced to endure the pain
of them, if I want ANY documentation for programs that insist on using them.

IMO, The person who invented them should be shot!!

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com