OT: Novell Is Not SCO

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 12 21:39:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 16:30 -0500, Kurt Wall wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:02:17PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 14:47 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > >
> > > But my point is that _if_ the Novell agreement is necessary
> > > for distribution, then GPL distribution is already illegal
> > > for everybody, not just Novell.
> > ----
> > of course your point relies upon presumptive guilt...which as I
> > understand it is part and parcel of a Catholic upbringing but clearly at
> > odds with the expectations of open source software users.
>
> Was the anti-Catholic crack really necessary? And, FTR, even among
> Christians, Catholics hardly have a lock on guilt.
>
> You are, of course, correct in the main point: the assumption in the
> original comment that distribution of _something_ violates some patent.
----
it wasn't necessarily a crack but a reference to:
- a culturally common reference
- illustrative of the point that we all should be able to relate
to...that it is absurd to pre-suppose guilt.

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone and neither Catholics nor the
generic term of Christians have a lock on guilt...I know this this to be
true...I had a Jewish mother.

;-)

Craig