/dev/ttySx problems... solved

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Nov 12 21:57:12 UTC 2006

At 12:36 PM -0500 11/12/06, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 12 November 2006 12:24, Tony Nelson wrote:
>>>
>>>Yes, I could go along with that.  Probably even worse than lynx.

>>>Tried that before, about the only difference I could see was
>>>colourisation of the output.  It was still a bastard to navigate
>>>through.
>>
>>"Me too!".  I'd like to see some substantive description of the benefits
>> of using pinfo, to find out if they outweigh the horrible illegibility
>> of pinfo's display.  Probably all I'll get is more of "Pinfo's display
>> is perfectly legible.  What's wrong with you?"
>>
>>The essential info commands are pressing spacebar or page down to go
>> down, pressing page up to go up, pressing return when the insertion
>> point is in a link to go elsewhere, pressing l (ell) to go back, and
>> pressing q to quit. --
>
>I don't know about the spacebar, but page-up-down do nothing here.

Does it work in a terminal window to scroll through your command history?
(Actually Page Up goes to the top and Page Down goes to the bottom.)
Shift-Page Up and Shift-Page Down should scroll the window.  (In info,
Shift isn't necessary.)  If not, then you have something misconfigured.  I
have a similar issue when telnetting (ssh'ing) into a server, which I
haven't solved, so I can't be much help.

>I have
>managed to get around but its best described as huntin pecker or some
>such, and doesn't bode well for following the chain of thought at all.
>
>It seems to me there info/pinfo authors could have built a manpage
>describing howto use info/pinfo.  But there is not such installed on this
>new FC6 install.
>
>Thanks for the hints, I've printed them for refresher reading.

You're welcome.