Pam issues w/ upgrading mail server from FC3 to FC5

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Nov 12 22:53:26 UTC 2006

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>Philip Prindeville writes:
>

>>Since we reimaged our mail server (using Sendmail, Cyrus-imap, Mimedefang,
>>and SpamAssassin) to FC5, we've been seeing:
>>
>>Nov 10 11:13:21 mail saslauthd[2912]: Deprecated pam_stack module called from service "imap"
>>Nov 10 11:13:21 mail saslauthd[2912]: Deprecated pam_stack module called from service "imap"
>>Nov 10 11:56:03 mail saslauthd[2912]: Deprecated pam_stack module called from service "imap"
>>Nov 10 11:56:03 mail saslauthd[2912]: Deprecated pam_stack module called from service "imap"
>>Nov 10 11:56:03 mail saslauthd[2909]: Deprecated pam_stack module called from service "imap"
>>
>>in our /var/log/secure logfile.  sigh...  did I forget to do
>>something else when setting up the mail server following the
>>FC5 reimage?
>>

>As the message says: pam_stack is deprecated.
>
>After some further poking: pam_stack has been replaced by the include
>directive.  See /etc/pam.d

Ok, well, I'm looking at it:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

I'm also seeing the contents of the /usr/share/docs/cyrus-imap-*/
directory that references the link:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/FAQ

and looking at that link, they talk about RedHat lagging behind
on the PAM release.

Well, this is more than a bit confusing.  It looks like Cyrus
is the one lagging behind... or at least, whoever set the options
that the Redhat RPM's get packaged with did.

What *should* Cyrus be using to authenticate?

This is assuming that I don't want all users having mailboxes to
have entries (accounts) in /etc/passwd...  I can seed their passwords
manually using saslpasswd -f /etc/sasldb2 ...

-Philip