windows media player

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 13 02:23:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 18:12 -0800, Les wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 18:58 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > Hi, guys,
> > >    I attempted to use these commands by writing them to a file and then
> > > executing the file.  Here are my results:
> > > [root at localhost lesh]# source ./mplayerYumscript
> > > Error getting repository data for livna, repository not found
> > > Error getting repository data for livna, repository not found
> > >
> > > Here is the precise contents of the file:
> > > yum --enablerepo=livna install mplayer
> > > yum --enablerepo=livna mplayer-plugin mplayer-skins
> > >
> > > I have used Unix before but this is my first attempt (in a long time) at
> > > Linux, so please be gentle.
> > ----
> > see http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna
> >
> > If I recall correctly, livna source wasn't automatically installed by
> > FC-5 so the above instructions apply. (make sure you install the one for
> > FC-5 if that is what you are using).
> >
> > also, it's polite to configure a shell script...
> >
> > #!/bin/sh  # let system know which shell it is intending to use
> > #          # various systems had a problem with code on the second line
> > yum --enablerepo=livna install mplayer mplayer-plugin mplayer-skins
> >
> > chmod u+x mplayerYumscript # make it executable
> >
> > ./mplayerYumscript # would simply execute it
> >
> > or you can leave it as is (without 'x' bit) and simply invoke it via a
> > shell argument...
> >
> > sh mplayerYumscript
> >
> > Not sure why you would want to script a one time command.
>
> I always do this with new commands.  I am somewhat visually impaired,
> and placing the commands in a shell script allows me to preview the
> commands to make sure I have them correct.  And it eliminates my stumble
> typing errors.
----
OK - makes sense
----

> So, if I understand the webpage correctly, I need Fedora extras first,
> and I have fedora 6 running, and extras for Fedora 6 is not ready yet.
> Should I install extras from fedora 5 and hope it all works out, or is
> there another means to the end of getting movie support in Firefox and
> for other uses (like the cute movies of my grandkids that I won't
> torture you with)?
----
fedora extras should probably already be installed and enabled...

You can verify this fact by doing something like...

# grep enabled /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo
enabled=1
enabled=0
enabled=0

where the first 'enabled' is for the fedora-extras.repo, the second and
third (which enabled=0 means they are disabled) is
fedora-extras-debuginfo and fedora-extras-source respectively which
aren't needed unless you need them for something specific
----
> So it looks like the process is to RPM the extras, then copy the RPM of
> Mplayer and run the yum command script in the directory where I put the
> mplayer RPM?
----
no - the process is to rpm install the information on the livna
repository first...

# rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

then

# yum --enablerepo=livna install mplayer mplayer-plugin mplayer-skins
----
> Sorry if I seem dense, but I am attempting stuff that I know little
> about, and I have to put everything to size 16 font to read it, so it is
> a slow process for me to go through it all.  I will read up on RPM so I
> understand the process better as I await your response.  I was expecting
> to run the two script lines and get on with it.  DUMB USER IDEA!  I have
> been spoiled by good admins on the UNIX and windows systems I used
> professionally, and am now slowly gaining more respect for their work.
----
no problem - we all have had to learn these things.

Craig